Aug 26, 2022

Another scam alert!


Kay Duclos today reported the receipt of a scam email. She was first to do so, but probably won't be the last as we have learned from earlier scams.

This one purports to be from Nadeen Thompson (details below). It isn't. If you receive a copy please trash it. Do NOT forward it to anyone even for information purposes. In addition to just being annoying, such scam messages often have hidden codes embedded in them that can plant a virus in computers or create a loophole through which hackers can access your files and personal data.

In most scam messages, the sender claims to not have access to a phone and can only communicate via email and/or text. That's simply a way to get into your accounts 

Here is the text of the email Kay received:

From: "Nadeen Thompson" 
Sent: Friday August 26 2022 10:29:29AM 
Subject: Re: MY REGARDS TO YOU 

Thanks for your acknowledgement. I need to get an AMAZON GIFT CARDS for a friend of mine who is diagnosed with stage 4 Cancer. She lost her only daughter to the disease (COVID-19). It's her birthday but I can't do this now because I'm currently out of town.

I tried purchasing it online but unfortunately I got no luck on that. Wondering if you could get it from any shop around you or from Amazon online? I'll pay back when I get back. 

Kindly let me know if you can handle this.

A followup email said: 

From: "Nadeen Thompson"
Sent: Friday August 26 2022 2:05:09AM 
Subject: MY REGARDS TO YOU 

How are you doing? I need a favor from you. I'm Unavailable on Phone, Kindly let me know when you get this. Awaiting Response, Regards Nadeen

No comments: